Autumn breaks at Unicoi Park















Sunrise at Unicoi
Last Saturday I was at the Wurl's and up early and out of the house in time to catch a sunrise on Smith Lake in Unicoi Park. Most folks call it Unicoi Lake but it's been there longer than the park. I did four paintings and stayed until about 2 in the afternoon.
The first is a view of the lake at sunrise with the mist rising from the water.














Crimson Fall
The second is a quick painting done of the near shore. The color of the dogwoods was spectacular.














October on Smith Lake
# 3 is a view across the lake with ultramarine reflections off the rippled water.














Along the damn at Unicoi
The final painting of the day I spent the longest time on. Its a view of the damn looking toward the observation dock.
After attending the Whisson workshop I've made some changes in my palette, adding cadmium orange and red light, but I went back to my sap green which I find much easier to control. The other change is the use of Archival's Odourless Lean instead of turpentine.
I think paintings have a bit more color in them —the color was certainly there this last weekend. The damn painting has a lot going on and reminds me of Whisson a bit with the bright foreground.
All in all it was a great day out, perfect for painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment